As a start, let’s remember the classic premise under which the Republican Party has traditionally built its platform: “A strong national defense and less government intrusion into our daily lives.” Doesn’t sound too bad on the surface, but the devil is in the details and how the GOP has evolved over the last 30 years.
The GOP used to be the bastion of White Shoe Lawyers, Old Money and the Corporate Elite. At least they were straight forward about their goals in those days. It was all about preserving capital within the family, making money and leaving every one else alone as long as those goals were achieved.
Then came the unholy alliance with the Religious Right. Then they had to pretend they gave a damn about abortion and gays. There went the part of the platform about “less government intrusion into our daily lives.” Out the window. The proverbial baby with the bath water,
That eventually led to most sensible people leaving the GOP. This was all just too tacky for the Country Club Republicans to accept. So, they moved to the Democrats and we saw the rise of the Corporatist Wing of the Democratic Party.
Arguably, a lot of today’s Democrats are very similar to the Republicans of 30 or 40 years ago. That means a lot of people don’t quite fit anywhere. However, the Democratic Party is more open to dissension and discussion, so most of these folks stay with the Dems and try to work it out. The Dems negotiate, the GOP purges like the Stalinists of yore….
But I digress…let’s get back on topic.
What do I hate about the “modern” GOP? Let me tell you…
1. They are mean- these folks go for the jugular vein. They don’t discuss, they don’t book dissent, they kill. Truth is usually the first victim. They have obviously read their Machiavelli and believe you can’t wound a prince, you must kill him. (See Rick Perry)
2. They lie with impunity- The modern GOP does not believe in facts, they believe in propaganda. They will look you in the eye – or more likely television camera- and lie. Their goal is to create an alternate reality that benefits the Rich without anyone getting wise to the situation. (See Fox News)
3. They are hypocrites- They claim moral superiority and belief in “traditional” family values while serially abandoning wives and families for new trophy wives. (See John McCain and Newt Gingrich)
4. They are plastic- If Ken and Barbie ran for office they would be Republicans. I’m convinced the GOP and fundamentalist ministers keep the hairspray companies in business. I would just love to put all the GOP debaters in a wind tunnel and see how they came out. I wonder if their hair is real or if it’s like some play-dough helmet they put on everyday….(See Mitt Romney and Rick Perry)
5. They are proud of their ignorance- They hate science and won’t believe simple facts. They can’t be bothered to learn or study the issues. (See Herman Cain and Sarah Palin-among others)
6. They are intolerant of other religions or the religious views of others- Each of them seem to be convinced they have a direct line to God and he speaks only to them. Anyone who disagrees with them is bound for hell. (See Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum)
7. They are heartless- Ideological purity is of the utmost importance-particularly to the Libertarian Republicans. These guys believe in almost no government. If you get sick and don’t have any money, it’s okay to let you die. They think you should have planned better and worked harder. (See Ron Paul)
8. They are anti-intellectual- Used to be we wanted the smartest guy or gal in the room for our President. Not the GOP. Not only are they proud of their ignorance, they dismiss intelligence and intellectual curiosity as signs of ideological weakness. They think people who actually study the issues and the facts are wasting valuable time. To them, facts are to be adjusted to drive the agenda and one shouldn’t think too much about things like starting a war with Iraq because someone insulted Daddy. (See George W. Bush)
9. The are vengeful- They truly believe there are only two important concepts in politics: Loyalty and Revenge. You must be loyal, without asking questions, or you will face their revenge. (See George W. Bush and Dick Cheney)
10. They are always out for themselves- Their motto really should be “I’ve got mine, screw you.” They don’t believe in anything that stands in the way of profiteering. It’s all about “me” to them. They don’t even recognize the existence of anyone else as that would require them to stop gazing at themselves in the mirror and reading their bank statements. (See Sarah Palin)
I could go on, but I’ll stop here for now….
I’m sure before the Republican Presidential Primaries are over, I’ll be able to add to this list…..